Monday, August 27, 2007

The Chandelier is hung!

Pin It Now!

Sorry for the poor quality of photos. Since my camera is broken I'm using an old one that is only 2 mega pixels and it doesn't work very well. This is the chandelier that I bought at a garage sale awhile back for $20. Click here to see that post.
A couple weeks ago my ex-husband came over to help me hang the chandelier. We got it up and I flicked the switch and we heard a loud POP! IT SCARED ME TO DEATH! Electricity is scary to me. Anyway, I knew what the problem was right away. When I had rewired it, I didn't replace the old light sockets just the wiring. They were old and I should have known better. We took it down and I was without a light in my dining room for a few weeks. Friday I finally bought 5 new sockets and put them in and now it's working perfectly and I love it. It adds so much sparkle to my home. I'm not sure if you can tell from these blurry pictures but I only have 3 shades on the lights. These are from my old chandelier which only had 3 arms so I still need to buy some new ones for this 5-arm chandelier.

Then there was another problem though. I guess the first time when I shorted out the light it must have done something to the dimmer switch on the wall. It would turn the chandelier on but it wouldn't dim. I bought a new one and installed it myself! I have to tell you I was so proud that I did it myself. I did have to call my dad and ask a few questions, but I did it! YAY!

21 comments:

a pink-bee said...

Such a pretty light.:)A perfect touch to your home. Good job!
crystal

Julie said...

It looks wonderful....and YEAH for Daddy's!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, just beautiful! I'm so inspired by you! I am pretty handy, but I wouldn't have ever dreamed of rewiring a chandelier! Nice job. Also--the painting tutorial was excellent as well! Thank you! I/m desperate for a new bed and feel inspired to go find some old peices and fix them up! ~A :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow that's impressive. I don't attempt anything electrical. Your chandelier looks beautiful...very elegant.
Kathy

jill said...

Very pretty and romantic! You did a good job! Great find :)

Rosemary said...

Good for you Cindy!!
It looks beautiful!
Have a great day!
Rosemary

Cottage said...

It is so lovely. I know you will enjoy having that touch of Vintage history. I've never put the shades on mine, may have to give it a try.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Well, ya lost me at ... When I had rewired it.

lol. See, this is exactly why I got married.
Well, sort of :P

I'm really hoping that you'll post pic's with the better camera when you can!
As for the dimmer switch, it goes without saying what a huge accomplishment *I* think that is!

Unknown said...

WOW! It really is beautiful! I really would love something like that in my office! Tres Chic!

Lisa said...

Yay Cindy! It is so pretty!

Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful! Working with electricity IS scarry so you should be proud of yourself for installing that dimmer switch.

Manuela

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

It looks lovely (and I would never have attempted anything with electricity myself!). Good for you!

Gail McCormack said...

Cindy I can't believe you did all that, how clever, I wouldn't know where to start, it looks just beautiful. A friend of mine puts her chandelier drops in the dishwasher to clean them, says it brings them up spakrling.
Gail xo

Anonymous said...

Lovely...just lovely...

Anonymous said...

You GO GIRL.... It really looks stunning in your room... I just LOVE all your blue..I'm a blue person

Catherine said...

I didn't think it was possible for you to make your living area even more enchanting, but the chandelier does just that!! It adds yet another perfect touch! It's beautiful!! Love your new coffee cup as well, and yea! on getting a great camera to use!! I am looking forward to even more pictures of all your inspiring finds and creations!!

Gayla said...

You go, girl! I am so proud of you.... Inspiration plus.

Terri Steffes said...

Even beautiful with blurry pictures! Can't wait to see pics with your new camera!

Nunnie's Attic said...

Well again, I'm impressed. Is there anything you can't do? Tell me you can't cook or something. Walk and chew gum?? It looks beautiful!!

Jen Kershner said...

Looks great! I'm way impressed. Now, I'm trying to picture myself asking for or getting help from my ex. Ha ha, that's funny!

Michelle E. ~ Vintage Pastiche' said...

CINDAY!

YAYYYY you got it up! Wait that didn't sound right LOL!! It's beautiful, you're right, it's a $20 well spent. :)

*muahs*
Michelle